Thursday, 18 June 2009

Football Betting Week 8

OK, I did say the season is over, but for a few lucky (or unlucky countries) this is not so. Because we have the Confederations Cup. Last week, there was some easy money to be earned if you bet on Spain to trash New Zealand, or if you bet Brazil to beat Egypt. (But it must be said that Brazil came very close to not beating Egypt).

I said before that international football represents a unique betting opportunity. Results are more guaranteed, a strong team is less likely to screw up against a weak team because the players know they don't want to be pelted with rotten tomatoes at the airport when they get home.

So dis week, I bet on Spain vs Iraq. The bookies obviously think that Iraq is very weak even though South Korea and Saudi Arabia couldn’t get past them in the Asian Games. I wanted to put Spain beats Iraq but they were giving me 1.02. Then I saw that they were giving 3.5 balls to Iraq. Take it, goddamn! OK, I won that one at 1.4. I also bet on Brazil to beat the US, that one I understood. And also for Egypt to eat ball vs Italy, something that really mystified me – why didn’t I just bet on Italy to win? Duh. Anyway, Egypt, don’t fail me now.

Money for nothing and checks for free.

Results: Brazil beat USA. Duh. What is surprising is that Egypt beat Italy. Or rather not surprising. You see, this is a vindication of my principles, which is to bet on form, not reputation. I didn't really believe that Egypt were that strong but they are playing in Africa after all (OK Italy is very near to Africa also), and I saw that Brazil very nearly failed to beat Egypt. I was forced to conclude that Egypt were really good and bet accordingly (luckily) even though some part of me didn't agree with that.

No comments: