Wednesday, 13 February 2008

Gods of Finance

Damn. I should have known better to keep my mouth shut.

It was all very puzzling at first: why was the Singaporean press so eulogistic towards Suharto? Why did all those people he murdered passed over cursorily as mere "mistakes"? Why did LKY go all the way to Indonesia to pay tribute to him?

Then when talking to a bunch of financial ppl they mentioned that Singapore's financial sector caters mainly to Big Indonesian Business. The same bunch of people who got astoundingly rich partly because of political favours from Suharto. The same bunch of people to whom Suharto is a patron saint. Nobody doubts that this money is earned through hard work, but also nobody doubts that corruption and laundering is also involved.

My God, in writing up that article on Suharto I have been angering the Gods of Finance. Please forgive me!!!

No comments: