Saturday, 3 October 2009

Law of Large Numbers

I wrote the music when I was running at McRitchie. Night fell and I was groping my way around in the forest for a while.

I wrote the first part of the lyrics while driving. It's my favourite set of lyrics so far. The middle section has no purpose other than to wind up people who don't like maths.

If I had a time machine
to bring me back to yesterday
before I screwed it up,

Would I do it differently
or would I do it all again
because I'm being me?

Who is to say, if I didn't do that yesterday
I wouldn't do the same dumb thing
on another day?

Statistical theory:
the action of an agent is
the realisation of

that which is inherently
a trait deeply embedded in his
personality

Repeated instances of that experiment
will show me screw it up again -
the Law of Large Numbers!

McCartney had it wrong,
There is no going back into
a fabled "yesterday"

Walk on by and don't look back
the things you never get are the
things you never had.

No comments: