Friday, 14 September 2007

Zawinul

It's a bad year to be a musician that I'm a fan of. Joe Zawinul, creative genius behind Weather Report, is dead. Earlier this year we had Andrew Hill dead. Also Antonioni, Bergman, Edward Yang. What do all these people have in common? I discovered them while in college*. All these 5 people were in their way my heroes (Bergman less so, but he's touched me too, anyhow.) All 5 of them were great artists.

I'm a little too tired to talk at length about the great music he made so I'll just leave a clip here for you. (In case you don't recognise him he's the leader, and the one playing the keyboards).



* Note: I heard of Antonioni when I was in college, but only watched "l'Avventura" for the first time 2 years after I graduated. However he is thematically consistent with the 4 continuous years of mental masturbation I call my college years.

No comments: