Sunday, 17 May 2009

Football Betting Week 5 Part 2

I must be jinxed.

I was buying some bets for the weekend. There was a long queue at the counter. I put my entry form to the counter, and one of the bets had a problem. I returned it for a refund, and because the line was so long, I didn't go back and redo that bet.

One of the bets was for Berlin to eat ball vs Schalke. I would have won it. Another one was for Aston Villa to eat ball vs Middlesborough. I would have won that one too. Fat boy asked me if I wanted to bet on Fulham to beat Newcastle since the odds were around 3. I was quite wary of that, and I would have bet half my normal amount on that one. But I would have won that one too, even though the margin of victory was very narrow (0-1). He also asked me to bet on Everton vs West Ham. I didn't like it, but West Ham got 1 guy sent off and they lost.

Elsewhere, I was iffy about Wolfsburg beating Hannover, but they managed a 5-0 victory.

How did my bets do?

Stuttgart beat Cottbus. That was to be expected. Dortmund beat Bielefield, that was also to be expected. But I bet on Bremen to beat Karlsruhe, and they lost instead. I bet on Hamburg to beat Cologne. They also lost. What happened? Was I really unlucky?

Then it hit me: Both Bremen and Hamburg were involved in the UEFA cup. For the last 3 weeks, they have been playing midweek matches. So it doesn't really matter that both of them are still chasing Europe places in the league: they're tired. Why the fuck did I bet on teams which are tired? When am I going to stop making stupid mistakes?

I don't know if I'm going to bet next week, because so many of the issues have been settled already.

At least one of the bets I decided not to make was the right decision. I wasn't certain Bayern Munich would beat Hoffenheim, and in the end, they drew. Which means that Wolfsburg are now favourites to win the Bundesliga. It is incredible. This is a team which has never finished higher than 5th, in a town that was founded by the Nazis in 1938. OK, they have one of the best coaches in Felix Magath, and OK, this year Klinnsman screwed up Bayern Munich royally. But still, this is hell of an achievement for an upstart.

No comments: