Sunday, 3 May 2009

Football Betting week 3

I think it can be difficult to bet when you are making snap decisions. Last week I was careless and lost money. In the middle of the week, I made 2 bets that were in hindsight quite stupid. I was at a 4D booth with a friend, I felt like I had to make a bet, so I bet on Barcelona to beat Chelsea.

At that time it made sense. Barcelona were the most irresistible attacking side in Europe. Chelsea were on the tail end of a difficult season. Barcelona were at home. But there were a few things that made things not so certain. First, Chelsea's new coach is a consistent overachiever. Then, Chelsea are always a side where you just don't easily bet against them. Fat boy had bet on Liverpool to beat Chelsea even though I advised him not to and he lost. Now it was my turn to make the mistake of betting against Chelsea.

So I lost. The other bet I made was for Barcelona to win the Spanish league. I thought it was a shoo in because the odds were so low. The I found out to my horror: Real Madrid are breathing down Barcelona's necks. And Barcelona and Real Madrid are playing each other even as I speak. Should Real Madrid beat Barcelona, unlikely as this may be, Real Madrid will be 1 point behind Barcelona, and after that it's not certain that Barcelona will win the Spanish league. I'm nervous, because Real Madrid are on a long winning streak, and have had 1 whole week to rest, and Barcelona spent Tuesday night banging their heads against Chelsea without making them crack.

So this week I got back to basics. So far so good.

I took West Ham to eat ball against Stoke. After all, who ever heard of Stoke winning by 2 goals against anybody? (Yes they did so last week but Sunderland are Sunderland). So West Ham duly obliged, and even won the game.

I took Tottenham to win against WBA. Yes they melted down last week against Man U but they're too strong for WBA, and even if they won 1-0 against WBA, I'll take that.

I bet on Wolfsburg to win against Hoffenheim. I stopped backing Hoffenheim. Yes, it was very romantic how they topped the Bundesliga in winter but they're out of steam. And Wolfsburg need to win the league don't they? But I was unsure about this and I only bet $5 so didn't collect much.

I bet on Dortmund to win against Frankfurt. Dortmund are on a hot streak and have won their last 6 league matches. Yes, betting on teams with a good hot streak is a little dangerous because you don't know when they're going to get tired of winning but you work on the best infor you have. Surprisingly the odds quoted were quite long so I made money on this one.

I also bet on Stuttgart to win Bielefield. The motherfuckers let me down, it was a 2-2 draw. And the bloody referee, he gave Bielefield a penalty, otherwise they would have lost. Ah well, you have to lose some time so never mind.

I thought that Man U were going to win against Middlesborough but I didn't want to bet on them, since they're tired from whacking up Arsenal on Wednesday. I thought that Arsenal were going to win against Portsmouth but I didn't want to bet on them since they're tired from getting whacked up by Man U on Wednesday. So what happens? Man U and Arsenal win. Well life's like that, I made a decision not to bet, I don't complain.

Tomorrow I take Berlin to eat ball vs Hamburg and should be no problem since Hamburg had to play in Europe and Berlin don't have to. Also I take Liverpool to beat Newcastle and should be no problem since they're so good at the moment and have to win anyway. So wish me luck.

I should stick to my betting strategy. Keep a cool head, put your money down, at the end of the day, collect your money back, don't get a heart attack half way. Don't complain about collecting scraps because that's what you bargained for.

Edit 1: My "Barcelona will win La Liga" bet is safe. Barcelona has just thrashed Real Madrid in El Classico.

Edit 2: Liverpool has fulfilled their part of the bargain by thrashing Newcastle. Hertha Berlin has drawn against Hamburg. It's been a good week and I just made back what I lost in that Barcelona bet.

No comments: