Monday, 1 October 2007

Catalog

Was in the library on Sunday, and to my extreme annoyance I found that the catalogs were not working. Like all of them had this sign on them which said, "Due to urgent system maintenance this facility is not available" or something.

Was very annoyed. I always go to the library more or less knowing what I want. Used to be I would pick up any book that's interesting: not anymore. Eventually you can only read the ones that interest you. Found myself spending 15 minutes scanning the shelves when I could have been out in 5.

Then inexplicitly there was this one couple using a catalog terminal that was, against all logic, functioning. So I thought I would stand behind them and wait. 5 metres behind, since I didn't want to be breathing down their necks.

All this time, I was asking myself these questions:
1. Why are you taking so f-king long?
2. Why are you staring at the screen and copying down every f-king word that appears on it?
3. Do you not know that if you want to see related books all you have to do is to go to that section of the library where all the books you want are close by and you can browse the blurbs one by one?
4. Do you not f-king know that somebody is waiting in line for you? (a bit perverse since I had chosen not to be too conspicuous)
5. Do you not f-king know that you are using the last catalog which is working?

And I was stewing in my juices for 5 minutes when, abruptly, the 6th question came to mind.

6. Do you not know how ridiculous it is for only 1 terminal to be working and none of the rest are?

At this point, I went up to the terminal next to them and tried to make it work. I clicked on "restart", and nothing happened. Then I clicked on "reload" and miraculously the opening menu for the catalog appeared. Damn! What if the catalog was working all along and I didn't know?

Well you know this is Singapore, and that this must be Singapore, that people just think that things aren't working, and take it for granted.

So I quickly found all the books I wanted and was out in a jiffy.

Reminds me of another time when I went to the library 5 minutes before closing time, thinking I was just in time to grab a book and run.

Turns out that the librarians were for some funny reason really adamant that the library was going to close on time, so much so that they turned off all the catalog terminals. I felt like howling at them: are you nuts? I could find my book now, check it out, and the whole process would take only 2 minutes. I would be out of here with 3 minutes to spare. And now you're making me manually scan the bloody shelves for my book?

Eventually I had to make do with a book that I sorda but not really wanted to read. Was damn pissed off. But of course I knew what was to be done. You do the one thing that all Singapore civil servants fear and dread the most: write a letter. So I lay into them and told them it was a completely moronic idea to turn off the catalog at the 1 time when you need it the most. Turn off the internet booths, fine. Turn off the lights at 9 sharp, no problem. But switch off the catalog 1 second before closing time and I will f-king kill you.

No comments: