Sunday, 27 April 2008

Expiry date

I think that "Chungking Express" and "Fallen Angels" by Wong Kar Wai were both filmed around the same time, so I can't remember which is which. I think both of them are quite quirky, and while "Chungking Express" is the more famous sibling, "Fallen Angels" is the more moody and haunting film.

But the point is that in one of these films the narrator begins by muttering darkly that every relationship has its expiry date, and once it is reached, it's best to part. It is a sentiment I remember being expressed in "Annie Hall" where Woody Allen says that a relationship is like a shark - being heavier than water, it has to keep on swimming or else it will sink.

I've seen relationships ended like this. Maybe relationships are like bit torrent, you have people coming and going, sometimes you're uploading and sometimes downloading. And when you've finished giving and taking what each other needs, you move on to the next one?

No, actually the reason why I'm writing this is that I had a friend who I used to be really close to. And then over a few disagreements we drifted apart. And then after getting tired of him I broke off contact with him (but also he hasn't really bothered contacting me, except for 1 time when he mentioned my name in a blog entry). But I didn't feel like I needed to talk to him. But still I've been reading that blog, which is kinda contradictory. Until he made it private. So I'm wondering whether I should get on that reader list.

There are always other things to be done, and I might as well do them first before going back to old relationships that I left for a reason.

Blogs also have expiry dates. I made a list of 4 things I really want to do this year and maintaining this blog is unfortunately not one of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

why sound so jaded...

ms veggie

7-8 said...

There are basically 2 ways of interpreting what I just wrote.

1. I am jaded.

2. I am restless and I need to look for something new every now and then.

I'm going for the second interpretation.

Second issue is that some people might start to wonder after a while if this is a goodbye note. It is.

Anonymous said...

greetings from dusseldorf!

keep on writing lah. ;)

i interprete that as you in a rare jaded moment.

ms veggie