Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Water girl outed

Something very strange happened the other day. I was looking at somebody’s facebook page when I saw a very familiar face among his list of friends. It was Water Girl! It was a one in a thousand event, something that could only have happened by chance. That guy had 400 friends, and out of those 400 friends, why should that particular person come up?

Well, it turned out that she has a very wide network. Not surprising for somebody who’s

Some of the inferences I made about her seem to be confirmed by the blog.

1. She’s very religious and serious about Christianity. Whatever the reasons are that she turned me down, religion is definitely one of them.
2. She’s quite emotional, and has problems keeping a lid on her emotions.
3. She doesn’t get along well with her father. (I inferred this because I have never seen her outside with her father.) I know she’s not happy with her family.
4. Her gang is the poly people. And the church people.
5. This is also inferred from the blog: I could never be her boyfriend, nor she my girlfriend. We would drive each other nuts because our wavelengths are completely different.
6. She’s an aspiring musician. She told me she wanted to be a singer or a DJ. She’s still interested in that.
7. She’s a water sign. A Scorpio, in fact. I have not named her wrongly. Well I should have gathered. Scorpios are usually physically attractive, even though they may be screwed up.
8. She keeps a lot of things to herself. But she can’t hide that she’s not always happy with life.

She only gave me a short version of her name, and I always wondered if it was her real name. Well, at least I know now that it is her real name. So that’s good.

I went to the relevant sections. It was extremely unflattering for me. I now know that she only went out on that date with me in order to tell me not to go after her any more, and that the first date actually went well: she didn’t think I was so bad after all, except that I pressed my case by asking her over SMS if she missed me. That was when she blew her top and decided to make it really plain to me that I shouldn’t be going after her.

She called me a nerd. I got so fed up reading that that it took me 2 hours to get to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, I suddenly remembered that I’m not completely ashamed of being a nerd. But I’m still angry because I know she meant it in a bad way. And I wonder if I should give her a really big surprise the next time I see her. Probably not.

I think about all the times I was racking my head to think of something to say to her, when all the answers were out in the open all this time. (Well except I didn’t know where it was.) But I could have read what was written and stopped wasting my time on her.

Well there was a lot of stuff that I didn’t understand in her blog. Her English was good enough, but a lot of … ‘s and references to “brothers”, “sisters” and her church friends. She’s social and all that, but I don’t really know if her friendships are deep. It’s not for me to judge but maybe they are. But she’s a sheep. I don’t like the church, even more than that, I don’t like the mega-church. And if she’s with one, I couldn’t ever understand what’s up with all that being a sheep. Maybe life is very fair, because I probably am going to read her blog and laugh at her for being so dumb and confused about life, the same way she wrote me off as a nerd.

Probably not going to link to her blog. But I can’t resist reading it now that in it are all the questions that I’ve always wanted to know about her. Well that’s what blogs are for, right? You get to know everything about a guy, stuff he might not tell you, without having to approach him and ask him yourself. Isn’t that right, dear readers?

I don’t really know what attracted me to her. No, actually I know what attracted me to her. I was attracted to codfish because she was a chiobu that I actually could talk to. I was attracted to her, because I was back in Singapore for a break, freshly dumped by codfish, and I saw her downstairs. She looked very quiet, spooky. I started to think, maybe here’s a deep thinker, a gloomy, broody character. Maybe this will be my next girlfriend. But it’s nothing deeper than that. I criticise her for being shallow, dismissing me as a nerd without knowing more about me, but I was equally shallow.

After I cool down, I might have thought about what might have happened. I've not thought about this incident for a long time because it took place so long ago, but it's a little unusual that you will ever get the answers to these type of questions. I went on a date with her. The date actually went OK. We talked for quite some time, even though I was starting to feel that we were not completely connecting. From her account, she said that she was sick and tired of lying and dodging me, and she wanted to put things straight with me. But that date went OK, and she just couldn't bear to tell me. It was only on the second day, when I pushed my luck, and asked her whether or not she was missing me, she decided to make it clear to me that it was over.

There are different schools of thought to all this. One is that I could have played my cards right, and we could have been friends. I could have just decided to take things slow, and we could have been friends. It's possible to overcome the initial impression that I'm a nerd. Being a nerd is but a small price to pay for my being a maths genius, a musical genius and a literary genius. I suspect that every one of my friendships have overcome the initial impression of my being a nerd. The other school of thought was that I had given up and thrown away something that was in any case of no value. I could never change her. A sheep is a sheep, I would have found out that she was a sheep, and I would have lost respect for her. In both these versions, though, the chances of my ever having a relationship with her is close to zero, and since I was primarily interested in a relationship instead of a friendship, there's nothing in it.

I’ve seen a little of what chiobus are like. I think I went after my fair share of them. I learnt a few things about them. First, like people say, there are no such things as ugly women, only lazy ones. It’s a little harsh but mostly true. So they are people who take pains in their appearance. Second, they act with grace. I’m a little graceless. A little known fact about me is that when I was one of the cutest kids around when I was 5. Then a few years later, the cuteness completely disappeared. I sometimes wondered why it happened, but here are my guesses. I’m graceless. I don’t always yearn for people to like me. I don’t care, most of the time. Maybe I was emotionally avoidant. Maybe I’ll never be completely tuned in to people. It was easier to push people away than to draw them to you. This need for human companionship changes your appearance in at least 2 ways. First, you get used to more physically attractive expressions on your face, like smiling. (But models who pout end up making more men want to fuck them.) Second, when you get along with people better, you also tend to smile more, and it lifts your mood. For me, I keep people at an arm’s length (even though, paradoxically I get upset when they get more than 1 arm’s length away from me.) So you can imagine, a lot of the sneering and grimacing has changed the shape of my face. I’m not handsome anymore.

So when you see chiobus, they have a combination of these traits. It’s really not true that beauty is skin deep. It’s that people have this mistaken notion that beautiful people are good hearted. Well needing human companionship and vanity are not the same as being good hearted. So you do have to understand what beauty really means, not what you want it to mean.

Maybe I don’t have many close friends and I’m not really able to tell what I’d want in a friend. I stalled for too long. I’ve fought for my independence. But I’ve become too independent. I rely too much on it, that I don’t really think of myself existing as a part of a gang. It’s made me really bad at understanding what I’m like as a friend.

And at the same time I need a better understanding of what relationships mean, and not just simply reach for some people who are not that suitable, just because they look cute.

On another note, I’m a little sore that teapot called it off with me. (Yeh I know that I still owe you guys teapot part 2 I’ll get it out someday.) Even after I wrote a song for her. Well there’s this cute chick that I saw on a dating website who says that she wants somebody to write songs so that she can write lyrics to them. I’m thinking of giving her teapot’s song. (My song actually, the one I wrote for teapot). Am I evil?

Anyway, what I do think is that since I’m in my less horny 30s I should look around for ladies who are not so attractive. Or at least, find better reasons to like chicks.

6 comments:

Nat said...

Not being an expert in this field but having given enough thought, I would say the best way to look for someone to be in a relationship is to be open minded (about both looks and beliefs). It is realistic to expect that both of them are constantly changing. So in effect a sheep need not always be a sheep.

Looking for someone that conforms to ones ideal, I believe, is like finding a zebra with a specific pattern. Not going to happen.

But I know nothing about sheeps and even lesser about people :)

Shingo T said...

Bad-mouthing past suitors/lovers/spouse reflects badly on a person.

There's nothing wrong with being a nerd. In fact, I think nerds are less likely to stary, compared to golf players and film directors.

Any girl can be a chick when given the right makeup and attire. Settle for one who makes you comfortable about being yourself.

And great initiative on the dating site, bro. ^_^

And ya, Teapot part 2 will be good. MOFO is also KAYPOH.

7-8 said...

I think there have been less than 10 chicks I've had crushes on. I don't look for a prototype, and when you think about it, none of these people have much in common with each other.

So there is a distinction: I may not look for a prototype, but it doesn't mean that I'm not going to rule out people based on certain criteria. That's different. So while I don't have positive criteria, I have negative criteria.

I was also wondering why I got so angry about her use of the word nerd. She said some mitigating things about me, like how she admired my persistence and how she didn't think I was a bad person. But the overall impression is negative.

I admit there was a bit of "I'd like to see what it's like to date a normal person". Now I'm not sure about that.

Anonymous said...

I agree the lack of human companionship does change one's looks...one is simply transformed by sex on every level. It enhances and changes everything about one's appearance. The alchemy of it, the rush of blood to every cell, the infusion of it
the way it washes over ever part of us. And if you happen to be hard wired sexually, with a strong sex drive and you are denied it...not having that companionship, well, it's a wrecking ball. You disappear, you lose all of your vibrancy. Living in rapture and being gently tuned (and sometimes not so gently tuned!) like the strings on a guitar, this NEEDS to occur everyday. That is what lovers are doing for one another when they fueling the fire of their passion, and certainly not just in their bed. Their passion sets fire to every part of their lives, endeavors, music, art, work, play, and also to anyone who's lucky enough to fall in it's path. Playing in harmony sexually changes everything about a person's looks and their heart. It is impossible to conceal this truth if it isn't happening in your life. At first you can, but over the years it destroys you. And it is a slow and ugly death. Being finely tuned radiates out and changes everything in your world and the world of those around you. Fire breeds fire, and fire breeds passionate pursuits of joy...and that kind of joy is unstoppable in what it can produce. It has the power to take everyones breath away. Brainiac men rule! You could give this girl a break, perhaps the word nerd that you were hearing was a compliment, perhaps she was clumsy with her words and meant it as a compliment. And about the "TYPE" thing...wow., how much true beauty is passed by and not even recognized with eyes half shut. How many opportunities are lost? If you are a brainiac you definitely need to find a girl who is your intellectual equal to be turned on. After all the ruling sex organ is our brain. Iv"e dated too many beautiful guys, that is, they were beautiful till I heard what was coming out of their mouths from their brain. Such a turn off and so disappointing to find out further down the road. That tends to be the problem with eye candy and "TYPES". I have to say tho the dichotomy of what I am hearing here I find to be very interesting.

7-8 said...

I sorda get what you mean but it's not true that my lack of sex is turning me ugly. That has to do with other aspects of my life I'm not happy with.

Anyway I was wondering if you were an envoy of water girl but since you're from the US that seems quite unlikely.

It seems that your writing is radiating with the joy that comes from plenty of sex so I wish you a happy fucking time.

Anonymous said...

heheee...sorry, kinda went off on a tangent i guess. i certainly didn't mean to imply that your ugly.
yes, i do live in the US, and actually no i haven't had sex for about 10 years now, so i guess that kinda makes me seasoned at knowing what the benefits and downfalls are concerning the matter. sorry...i'll shut up now!:)